At the website Scouting For God they suggest including it on a survey form, along with a number of other similar "Getting to know you" questions. For example:
- What activities are you involved in?
- What religion does your family practice? If so, what church/temple/mosque do you attend?
- Do you have any food allergies? If so, what?
- Do you have any food restrictions or preferences (e.g. vegetarian, non-beef, non-pork, vegan, kosher)?
- Anything else that you want the Troop/Pack to know about you?
It can be a lot less confrontational to ask about it that way, along with a number of other questions that help you get to know the family and their needs better.